Thread: Horse Thief Basin

Horse Thief Basin

I have seen the sign on I-17 for years for Horse thief basin. I hear it is good place to camp but can't find details. What can you tell me about it?
    Elevation? Campgrounds? Lakes? Hikes? Temps?

My wife and I left our pop up camper in Cottonwood this past week on our way back from vacation, and we are planning on going to Whitehorse lake or somewhere on the rim in about 2 weeks. I thought it might be time to try someplace new.

Thanks for any info.

Tim

Edit: Just found a site using google. Says hi clearance vehicles for road. I know my Tahoe will make it, how about a pop up camper? About 12 foot long closed up, sets low to ground.
    Last edited by Curly; 07-01-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: more info
    I start what I finish!

Crawldit Guest

Re: Horse Thief Basin

Been up there many times in 2wd SUV's. A pop-up shouldn't be an issue. There is a lake up there with decent fishing (so I've heard). There are two campgrounds. One has regular sites and the other has adirondacks. There is even a small community of seasonal cabins up there (privately owned). It should be a decent amount cooler because it's up in the pines past Crown King. You actually have to go through Crown King to get there which is always a neat little place to stop. The main road up to CK has some tight switchbacks that might be tricky but I can't say for sure since I've never towed anything up there. The road itself used to be the old railroad line.
    Last edited by Crawldit; 07-01-2007 at 09:52 PM.

I stayed in Hazlet Hollow two Decembers ago in the adirondack campground with the little 3 sided shelters in each camp spot. It is a great place to camp and the lake, Horsethief Basin Lake, is nice. It sits about 6000 ft in pine trees. See the link below to info on trails and directions. I believe you need to call to make a reservation.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/rec...ethollow.shtml

I should have mentioned that Hazlet Hollow is the name of the campground while Horsethief Basin is the whole area.

Prescott Nataional Forest is in a stage 3 fire prevention condition as of 6/30/07.The people in the summer cabins at Horsethief Basin were told to leave so I believe the campgrounds are closed.Contact Prescott Nat. forest.

Thanks to everyone for the info, I'll check the campground status before we go.
    I start what I finish!

I was up that way Saturday heading towards CK and HTB and there were signs starting at Cleator stating "Horsethief Basin / Castle Creek Recreation Areas Closed" (I think I remember that accurately) and I saw a few of the side roads on the way up to CK closed off. I ended up turning north on 89A (goes over to the mountain to Goat Ranch then to Senator Road), so I never got up there to see first hand if the road was closed.
    Last edited by highjeeps; 07-02-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: i don't know
    1999 TJ Sahara, 4.0 liter, auto, 5.5" RE suspension w/ tri-link rear, RockHard roll cage, 37" MTR Kevlar, 4.88 gears, ...

Horsethief basin recreation area is closed:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/

We camped at Hazlett hollow campground the weekend of June 23-24. I pulled my Fleetwood Westlake tent trailer there with no problems. My tent trailer has a 12 foot box and folds out to 25 ft. Hazlett Hollow is a beautiful campground built in the 1930's by the CCC. We camped on top and did the Crown King backroad run that weekend, it was great. It was nice and cool at night at the campground, probably high forties, low fifties.
    Last edited by oldhockeyvb; 07-03-2007 at 04:09 PM.

According to the Prescott National Forest website Horse Thief Basin is closed.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/new...strictions.pdf
    Last edited by Gordo; 07-04-2007 at 12:03 PM.

According to the Prescott National Forest website Horsethief Basin is closed.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/new...strictions.pdf
    Last edited by Gordo; 07-03-2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: need to delete

Kiwi is offline Your email is Bouncing! Update your email address!

I was up there a few weeks ago when it was open. Too bad.

Guess it'll just be an annual Arizona thing - shut down all camping during the summer.

Maybe schools schedules need to change so the kids vacation is from April to June so we can actualy enjoy the outdoors with them!
    1986 Toyota FJ60 - OME 3in lift - 33x1250 tires :D

Thread Information