Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Point and Scout Cave

Diamond Point and Scout Cave

On Monday the 6th I decided I needed to get out of the house and enjoy the great outdoors. I know you're not supposed to wheel alone, but I needed some quiet time away from lifes distractions. So, I headed to Payson to explore around Diamond Point and to check out Scout Cave. My wife and I had briefly checked out the area a few weeks prior, but I wanted to spend some time looking for crystals and exploring the cave. To get there take 270 east from Payson and turn on Control Road (FR64). You'll take that to FR65 toward Diamond Point Lookout. There are signs all along the road and it is a well maintained dirt road. I didn't have any luck finding any crystals, but to be honest I had no idea where to look. Scout cave is a neat little area. As you are driving along the trail you will come to a rock pile, which upon closer inspection reveals itself to be a cave. There is some room for exploring inside, but since I was by myself I didn't wander to far. All in all it was a good day and if you are looking for an easy day of scenic wheeling you should check out the area.

I didn't take a whole lot of pictures, but here are a few.

When you see this old tree you are close to the cave.

Here is the entrance to the cave.

A picture of the walls of the cave.

This looks like a fun area to explore, but as I was alone I didn't want to take any chances.

It is hard to tell from the picture, but as you enter the cave your flashlight lights up this area. Even though I knew it wasn't, my first thought was wow, that looks like gold! As I got closer I could see that it was just water droplets reflecting the light.

On my way home as I was nearing Gilbert Road on Highway 87 I saw a little puppy running in and out of traffic. Just as I got passed him and pulled over I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a semi truck locking up its brakes. The driver did a great job of controlling the truck and I thought that was the end of the puppy. But, thankfully, the little guy was just fine. With the help of some other motorists we got the little guy corraled and I said I would take care of him. Now, what do you do with a puppy when you are in a Jeep with no top and no doors? Here was my solution.

We made it home without a hitch. He was a little dirty, thirsty and hungry, but he seems to be doing just fine now.

If you get a chance, head up to the Diamond point area. It's beautiful and there a lots of areas to explore. Plus, you're just around the corner from Pyeatte Draw.

Jim

Re: Diamond Point and Scout Cave

Hey Jim, that looks like a really scenic trail. I would have loved to go with you but I was busy having my new 35 inch tires mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Special K
    Hey Jim, that looks like a really scenic trail.
    It really is nice up there, but the whole area is great. The trail is fun as well because it is lightly used and you get the explorer sort of feel to it as you navigate amongst the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Special K
    I was busy having my new 35 inch tires mounted.
    Ya, well you suck Everyone's getting 35's. I was all happy after my wilderness adventure, now I'm bummed again. Hope your happy.

Seriously, cool about the tires. Did you have to make any changes to the Jeep to get them to fit?

Jim

Yea, Mike came over and helped me put on a 1" body and motor mount lift. The Jeep looks reaaalllly good with the 35s. I had to compensate because I don't have a RUBICON.

desertdawg Guest

That looks like a cool area Jim. We need to get up there and explore that area some day. That was a good deed on your part rescuing that pup! Are you going to keep him?

Quote Originally Posted by desertdawg
    That looks like a cool area Jim. We need to get up there and explore that area some day. That was a good deed on your part rescuing that pup! Are you going to keep him?

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=12193

Nope, not going to keep him. We would love to, just now is not the best time for a puppy.

Jim

AZXJ Guest

That's close to Payette draw.. I'll have to find it next time I'm up there.. Payette Draw is littered with crystals.. I've got some decent sized ones at home that we found while exploring the upper upper upper sections of the draw..

There are probably geodes in that area as well. My grandma used to have a cabin not far from there on the East Verde and I remember always coming across geodes.
    Geode pic:
    ...what jeep?

Wow, I remember going there a couple times with a school group when I was in 5th and 6th grade! That was like... ...25 years ago! Holy cow, 25 years. That's a sobering thought. Anyways, that place was really cool, I still have vivid memories of exploring that cave - it goes much farther than the spot in the pictures. There is actually a small passage that loops back around and comes out near the entrance. I also have, believe it or not, a box with about 20 'Arizona Diamonds' I found. That's what we called the crystals we found. And I found a couple that really looked like a finely cut diamond! That was a lot of fun back then. I had forgotten exactly where that was, and I'm glad you posted about it. Thank you. Now, I'm gonna plan a trip back up there.
    White '94 ZJ on 33's
    "I've been doing so much with so little for so long that I can now do just about anything with practically nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by David C
    Wow, I remember going there a couple times with a school group when I was in 5th and 6th grade! That was like... ...25 years ago! Holy cow, 25 years. That's a sobering thought. Anyways, that place was really cool, I still have vivid memories of exploring that cave - it goes much farther than the spot in the pictures. There is actually a small passage that loops back around and comes out near the entrance. I also have, believe it or not, a box with about 20 'Arizona Diamonds' I found. That's what we called the crystals we found. And I found a couple that really looked like a finely cut diamond! That was a lot of fun back then. I had forgotten exactly where that was, and I'm glad you posted about it. Thank you. Now, I'm gonna plan a trip back up there.

Glad it brought back some good memories. I would have done some more exploring in the cave, but since I was alone I didn't want to end up a ABC movie of the week.

Jim

desertdawg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jim0352
    Glad it brought back some good memories. I would have done some more exploring in the cave, but since I was alone I didn't want to end up a ABC movie of the week.

Jim
    Would you settle for a mini series on HBO?

Quote Originally Posted by desertdawg
    Would you settle for a mini series on HBO?
    I don't think HBO would be interested in a series on why fat bearded guys shouldn't go spelunking! If I can stay in town for more than a day and you aren't on call, we should head up and do some exploring. It's a nice area up there.

Jim

desertdawg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jim0352
    I don't think HBO would be interested in a series on why fat bearded guys shouldn't go spelunking! If I can stay in town for more than a day and you aren't on call, we should head up and do some exploring. It's a nice area up there.

Jim
    Sounds like a plan to me Jim. I'm thinking sometime in May after my son leaves. That would make a nice monday trip.

That's pretty cool! I've gotta go up there sometime and check it out.
    Kevin K7KMC

R.I.P. LOWTECH
    R.I.P. Samdog3

If I am off I wouldn't mind going up that way. I am in Globe and could meet you in Payson. My days off vary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information